Baked Plantain Empanadas
Baked Plantain Empanadas/Patty recipe by Andrea Stanley of Cafe Blondie
For Empanada Dough
2 ripe plantains
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
White Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
Shredded chicken breast
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425?F.
2. Grease a sheet pan or line with parchment paper.
3. Cut the ends of plantains and then cut into 2-3 pieces with the skin on. Boil in salted water for 20 minutes or until they are soft.
4. Remove from water and peel the plantain. Puree the pieces, using a potato peeler.
5. Add the oil, salt, and pepper to the plantain puree. Mix well with a spoon. Let this mixture cool for a few minutes before adding the egg and flour.
6. Add the egg yolk and mix until completely combined. Add the flour and knead with your hands until the dough comes together.
7. On a floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll dough into a large rectangle. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out circles. Repeat the process with remaining dough.
8. Place the circles on the sheet pan.
9. Cut the cheese into rectangles and place them along with shredded chicken on the lower half of the plantain circle. Fold the circles into a semicircle shape and use a fork to crimp the edges, making sure they are completely closed.
10. Brush the tops of the empanadas with the beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned on top.