Sauteed Sardines with Ripe Breadfruit Croquette
Chefs Andre and Haleem throw down some good ole’ comfort food and transform them into fine entrée dishes. Try this Sauteed Sardines with Mushroom & Spinach with Ripe Breadfruit Croquette recipe today!
- 4 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 pimento seeds (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 can sardine
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a large skillet, cook the onion, thyme, pimento, mushroom and garlic in the olive oil over moderate heat until soft.
- Add the sardines and sauté for two minutes.
- Add water and simmer for 2 minutes, then add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add vinegar, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat and stir in butter.
Croquettes – Ingredients
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves & chopped escallion
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups mashed ripe breadfruit
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Vegetable oil, enough to fill pan 1/2-inch
- Add salt, pepper, chopped escallion, beaten egg yolks and flour to mashed breadfruit. Chill and then shape using an ice cream scoop.
- Dip in the beaten egg, then roll through bread crumbs.
- Fry each croquette in shallow oil until brown on all sides.