1 pt red peas
1/2 -1 lb salted Lily’s pig’s tail, cut up 1/2 lb salt beef stew (cut up)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
6-8 whole pimento berries
1 whole green Scotch bonnet pepper 2 stalks escallion
Sprig of thyme
2 cups coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tsp tomato ketchup
Hearty portion of tender loving care
1. Soak peas in water to soften, (preferably overnight)
2. Soak Lily’s pig’s tail in enough water to cover up to three inches above meat,
3. Place pig’s tails and peas together in a large saucepan with enough water to cover, add coconut milk and simmer for about two hours or until soft.
4. Add thyme, escallion, whole Scotch bonnet pepper, pimento berries, ginger, garlic, tomato ketchup.
(Spinners may be added at this time.)
5. Cook until flavours are mixed for approximately 30 minutes. Serve hot with plain rice, freshly sliced tomatoes, fried ripe plantain, and a slice of avocado to get the perfect meal.
Note of interest, red peas may be interchanged with fresh gungo peas when in season.