Jamaican Herb Roast Chicken Recipe
Ingredients Herb Butter:
6 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
6 sprigs fresh oregano
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon or lime
1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
1 The Best Dressed Chicken roaster
6 small onions (peeled and halved)
1 whole head garlic (unpeeled and cut in half horizontally)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make herb butter: pull herbs from the stems and chop finely. Combine the chopped herbs with the ingredients as outlined, in a small bowl and blend well. Set aside.
- Place onions and garlic in a roasting pan and toss with the olive oil. Pat the chicken very dry with paper towels, and place in the same roasting pan. Use a spoon to rub the herb butter all over the chicken and under the skin too. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the chicken and season with fresh black pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until skin is golden brown. Turn the heat down to 375 degrees Fahrenheit; continue to roast for 15-20 minutes more, or until done. Chicken should be done in less than an hour.
- Transfer the chicken and onions to a sering platter to rest and cover with foil. Discard the garlic. Pour off all the fat, leaving the brown baked-on bits in the bottom of the roasting pan. Add the chicken stock and place on the stove over high heat; bring to a boil and whisk in Dijon mustard. Stir and combine the brown bits with the stock and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter. Pour the same into a gravy boat and serve alongside chicken.