Banana Nut Waffle Recipe
There’s no doubt that sometimes Christmas morning can put us in food quandary. The question of what to eat to celebrate the best morning of the year often gets lost in the fast that there’s also a lot going on in the kitchen. In preparation for Christmas dinner.
I like the idea of starting the day off well, and so I always go back to the influences of a class Jamaican breakfast. Still, it’s Christmas, so breakfast on this morning has to have a special spin. All year long, you’ve probably been having bananas and callaloo for breakfast, and as such my favourite Christmas breakfast kicks it up a notch, in a big way. Enjoy!
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 large eggs (separated)
2 cups milk
8 ounces unsalted butter (melted)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 very ripe bananas (2 for garnish)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup cashew, coarsely chopped
- Heat waffle iron in a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a bowl, whisk together milk, egg yolks, vanilla, almond extract and butter.
- Pour in dry ingredients and gently mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, using a fork, mash ripe bananas in lime juice, stir into batter with cashews.
- Beat egg whites until they form a stiff peak then fold into batter.
- Using a ladle, pour batter into pre-heated waffle iron, spread batter until close to edge. Close the lid and bake for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat process until batter is finished
- Remove waffle and garnish with warm maple syrup, freshly sliced ripe bananas, crushed cashew and powdered sugar.
- Serve with Hamilton’s Smoked Sausages and scrambled eggs.