Roma Sinclair have been baking for 20 years. Try her Christmas fruitcake special which features a combination of spices and flavours, like cinnamon powder and almond essence.
1 lb butter (Anchor, preferably)
3 cups brown sugar
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 bottle browning (Benjamin’s)
½ lb raisins
½ lb currants
½ lb prunes
¼ lb cranraisins
¼ lb orange peel
2 tsp lime juice
2 tsp rose water
2 tsp almond essence
1 tsp ginger
Wine and rum for blending fruits
• Cream sugar and butter until almost white and fluffy.
• Add flour alternately in three portions along with three eggs at a time.
• Add dry spices and baking powder to last batch of flour. Fold in flour and eggs until mixture is smooth.
• Add liquid spices and lime juice. Fold in blended fruits in two portions along with browning.
• Fold until mixture is smooth.
• Mixture will yield two 8-inch cakes.
• Bake for an hour-and-a-half in a pre-heated oven at 350° F.