2 cups milk
4 cups Quaker 1 Minute Oats
3 tbsp browning
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup shortening
4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 – 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cups raisins
1/2 cup candied peel (optional)
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- Heat milk to almost boiling. In large mixing bowl, combine oats, molasses, brown sugar, browning, shortening, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour hot milk over Quaker oatmeal mixture. Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve 2 tsp sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Add yeast to oat mixture. Beat in 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, mixing well.
- Add enough white flour to form a dough that leaves sides of bowl.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
Knead dough 10-12 minute, add enough flour to make dough smooth and elastic.
Flatten dough out on floured board to height of about 1 inch.
- Sprinkle dried fruit and candied peel (optional) over dough.
Gently knead fruit and peel into dough until evenly distributed.
- Shape and place into loaf tin to bake. Cover with greased wax paper and tea towel.
Set in warm spot to let rise until double, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Punch dough down and turn onto well-floured board.
- Cut into equal pieces. Place into greased baking pan.
Snip crosses into top of buns with kitchen shears.
Cover with tea towels and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.