2 1/2 lb potatoes, pared and quartered
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/6 teaspoon white pepper
1 dash cayenne
2 egg yolks (optional)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups light cream
2 pkg (10-oz size) chopped callaloo (cooked and squeezed dry)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/6 teaspoons white pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1) Make mashed potatoes: Put potatoes and salt in a large saucepan; add cold water to measure 1 inch deep. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain well and return to saucepan.
2) Place pan over low heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until potatoes are dry. Beat potatoes (preferably with a mixer) until smooth and no lumps remain.
3) In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter melts-do not let milk boil. Gradually add hot milk mixture to potatoes, while beating potatoes constantly for a smooth, light and fluffly texture. Beat in white pepper, cayenne and egg yolks.
4) Make callaloo: In saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender but not brown. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Gradually stir in cream; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook 3 mins or until hot.
5) Grease a shallow 9-inch round ovenproof serving dish. Spoon callaloo mixture into center of dish. Fit a pastry bag with a number 5-star tube and fill potato mixture. Pipe large potato rosettes around edges of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese (if desired).
6) Into take to a covered-dish dinner: Cover Callaloo Casserole with foil and bake just before serving. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Uncver spinach and bake 15 mins or until potatoes are light golden brown. Makes 8 servings